Saturday, May 10, 2008

good food, but...

Last night was Nang Tet's despedida, and like any regular Pinoy despedida, it was marked with food. Lots of 'em.

We ate in La Mesa Grille, a fine (and cheaper, I think) escape from the now monotonous Dencio's or Gerry's Grille. As my Ninang is a food savant, and she shows off her tummy to prove it, we left her the honors of doing the orders.

hito flakes and scallops

mixed grilled seafood


I particularly liked the grilled hito and scallops. The flakiness of the earlier dish makes you forget of the image of a mustached fish, or the established fact that catfish dishes are particularly oily. Part of the trick, I think, stems from the unusual tamarind-bagoong sauce. As for the scallops, I liked them because they reminded me of my best friend who, 10 years ago, taught me how to eat those things.

As I was downing the food, I suddenly remembered the report I made for work earlier that day. It was something about the present food crisis and how my school should be hosting a forum about it as soon as possible. Food crisis, it seemed like just a bad dream we'd wake up from tomorrow.

But it is established reality. And we know we have to do something about it. But does it mean we should forego special family dinners such as this? This is similar to the impromptu question I got for my orals for my social theology class on whether buying a Porsche, given the social conditions of our country, was a social sin.

I said there has to be a way to have the two together. Self-pleasure and social responsibility need not necessarily conflict. You can buy the Porsche but still contribute to the poor in other, non-monetary ways. Education is cliche but it is still the best alternative.

As for my dinner with my Tita, I shoved away the momentary nuances of guilt. I won't be seeing her again for months and I might as well enjoy the feast. But at the back of my mind, I noted that I should make better the report I made earlier that day. Funnily, I suddenly remembered the face of my social theology teacher, smiling in what seemed like an approval.

No comments: