Wednesday, May 21, 2008

there’s something about those executives

written October 9, 2007

This afternoon, I remembered why it was that a few years ago, I was enthralled with the management field. Big numbers, huge offices, expensive shoes, kickass sports cars, and more importantly, that mysterious air.

I filled in for a business meeting for my previous employer, and surprisingly, I found myself sitting in front of the client company’s President, Vice-President, Corporate Adviser, Chief Financial Analyst, and HR Head. I was awestruck. They were what I wanted to be at some point in my life…

Well, the shoes weren’t that expensive-looking. And the cars were out of view. The offices and numbers were pretty obvious, but the air… it was so strong. Making business decisions in split-seconds, asking simple but very important questions, and pointing out sides of the case I wasn’t able to think were there at all. All that flair, all that genius, and all the power of those men and women... shet! Those are things they’re enjoying (mostly) because of their hard work. I can just imagine the sleepless nights, the liters of coffee and the books read.

Thinking back, I guess that was the real reason why I fell in love with that field. I wanted to be as hard working as the great people of that field. The shoes, the cars and the ultra-powerful, unlimited plastic card are really just cherries on the parfait. I bet Gucci and Porsche would look ten times better if I know I worked f_cking hard for them.

The presentation didn’t end up as hoped (the deal is still pending). But those higher ups have reminded me of something important, making the ordeal well worth it.

No comments: